Bachelor of Applied Theology
National Qualifications Framework (NQF) Level: 7
NQF Credits: 360
Duration: equivalent to 3 years full-time
Regular Intakes: February and July
Modes Available: onsite, distance, part-time, full-time, block courses
Carey’s Bachelor of Applied Theology provides a programme for training people for effective leadership and participation in a wide range of ministry and mission settings.
A student enrolled in the Bachelor of Applied Theology will follow a course of study equivalent to three years full-time, and gain 360 credits,with a minimum of 75 credits at level 7 comprising:
At Least 150 credits from courses in Bible and Theology, including:
- MB521 Thinking Theologically
- MB531 Reading and Interpreting the Old Testament
- MB532 Reading and Interpreting the New Testament
- MB526 Insights into Church History
- MB630 Understanding and Interrogating Culture
- at least 30 credits in Bible at level 6 or 7
- at least 15 credits in Theology at level 6 or 7
At least 120 credits from courses in Mission, Formation & Ministry, including:
The programme produces graduates who:
- Can use the core tools of theology to critique other disciplines and their own experience.
- Can critically examine current practice, applying learning to new situations.
- Can handle documents of Christian Faith with discernment and scholarship.
- Have developed self-awareness in relation to their spiritual journey.
- Listen to others’ views, and have a world perspective.
- Can communicate across cultural boundaries.
- Have developed the knowledge, attitudes, and skills to serve in a secular world.
- Integrate learning in determining personal action.
- Can articulate learning.
PROGRAMME & ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Admission to the Bachelor of Applied Theology is open to full-time and part-time students. See the Admission Regulations for full details.
TRANSFER FROM OTHER PROGRAMMES
Students who have completed courses at other institutions may be eligible for cross-credits or recognition of current competency.