New Zealand Diploma in Christian Studies
National Qualifications Framework (NQF) Level: 5
NQF Credits: 120
Duration: equivalent to 1 years full-time
Regular Intakes: February and July
Modes Available: part-time, full-time, onsite, distance, block courses
This programme is also available in Mandarin.
Carey’s New Zealand Diploma in Christian Studies provides students a broad understanding of the principles of theology, biblical foundations, evaluative thinking and applied leadership skills in ministry and mission.
A student enrolled in the New Zealand Diploma in Christian Studies will follow a course of study equivalent to one year full-time and gain 120 credits comprising:
Students complete all of these course:
- MB521 Thinking Theologically
- MF501 Reflective Field Education
- MS510 Te Ao Maori
- MM581 Mission of God
And, at least three of the following courses (or two if both Introduction to the Old Testament and Introduction to the New Testament are elected)
- MM561 Introduction to Pastoral Care
- MM564 Worship: Then and Now
- MM572 Foundations of Youth Ministry
- MB526 Insights into Church History
The programme produces graduates who:
- Evaluate and apply a broad understanding of theology and biblical foundations to defined contexts based on textual interpretation and religious practice.
- Evaluate a ministry programme based on strategies that integrate personal and community faith journeys, and the social, cultural and other contextual considerations of defined groups.
- Integrate core tools of theology, biblical texts and ministry practice, and apply these to the broader community to provide leadership and direction that is culturally and ethically appropriate.
PROGRAMME & ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Admission to the New Zealand Diploma in Christian Studies is open to full-time students and part-time students. See the Admission Regulations for full details.
TRANSFER FROM OTHER PROGRAMMES
Students who have completed courses at other institutions may be eligible for cross-credits or recognition of current competency.