Dr Myk Habets
09 526 6599
Myk is the Director of Research and Dean of Faculty at Carey Baptist College and Head of Graduate School. Myk has been the driving force behind Carey’s strategic research objectives, including: the development of staff research and scholarship capability; utilising research to serve and contribute to quality teaching, management of aspects of professional practice; inter-institutional collaboration in research; and PBRF oversight. Myk is on the Senior Management Team of Carey and was responsible for the establishment of Carey Graduate School.
Doctor of Philosophy (Otago University)
Master of Theology (Merit) (Bible College of NZ)
Graduate Diploma of Tertiary Teaching (AUT University)
Bachelor of Ministries (Bible College of NZ)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Chair of NZATS (New Zealand Association of Theological Schools)
- Board Member (NZ Representative) on ANZATS (Australia New Zealand Association of Theological Schools)
- Co-Vice President of the Thomas F. Torrance Theological Fellowship
- Member of the steering committee for the Theological Interpretation of Scripture Seminar at SBL
- Senior Editor, Pacific Journal of Baptist Research
- Associate Editor for Participatio: Journal of the Thomas F Torrance Theological Fellowship
- Editorial Board Member of The Journal of Theological Interpretation
- Member of Evangelical Theological Society (ETS)
- Member of the Christian Theological Research Fellowship (CTRF)
- Member of the Systematic Theologians of Aotearoa New Zealand (STANZ)
- Member of the Thomas F. Torrance Theological Fellowship (TFTTF)
- Member of the American Academy of Religion (AAR)
- Member of the Karl Barth Society of North America (KBSNA)
- Member of the Society of Biblical Literature (SBL)
- Christian Dogmatics/Systematic Theology
- Trinity/Doctrine of God
- Reformed Theology
- Christian Ethics
- Spirit Christology
- The theology of Thomas F. Torrance
- Third Article Theology
Myk Habets is a senior academic at Carey Baptist College and Graduate School and lectures in Systematic Theology and Ethics. Myk has published articles on constructive systematic theology in such journals as Scottish Journal of Theology, Theology Today, New Blackfriars, Irish Theological Quarterly, Journal of Pentecostal Theology, Evangelical Quarterly, and American Theological Inquiry, and is the author or editor of over fifteen books.
- Heaven: An Inkling of What’s to Come
- T&T Clark Companion to Thomas F. Torrance (with Paul Molnar)
- T&T Clark Companion to Colin Gunton (with Andrew Picard)
- Thomas F. Torrance Introduction and Reader (Bloomsbury)
- Thomas Torrance and Evangelical Theology: A Critical Evaluation (with Luke Stamps)
- You Are All Gods: Theosis in the Work of C.S. Lewis
- Theosis in the Theology of Thomas Torrance. Ashgate New Critical Thinking in Religion, Theology and Biblical Studies. Farnham: Ashgate, 2009.
- The Anointed Son: A Trinitarian Spirit Christology. Princeton Theological Monograph Series 129. Eugene, OR.: Pickwick Publications, 2010.
- Theology in Transposition: A Constructive Appraisal of T.F. Torrance. Minneapolis: Fortress Press Academic, 2013.
- ‘The Doctrine of Election in Evangelical Calvinism: T.F. Torrance as a Case Study.’ Irish Theological Quarterly 73 no 3-4 (2008): 334-354.
- ‘On Getting First Things First: Assessing Claims for the Primacy of Christ.’ New Blackfriars 90 no.1027 (2009): 343-364.
- ‘Putting the “Extra” Back into Calvinism.’ Scottish Journal of Theology 62 no.4 (2009): 441-456.
- Trinitarian Theology After Barth. Princeton Theological Monograph Series 148. Eds. Myk Habets and Phillip Tolliday. Foreword by John Webster. Eugene, OR.: Pickwick Publications, 2011.
- Evangelical Calvinism: Volume 1: Essays Resourcing the Continuing Reformation of the Church. Princeton Theological Monograph Series. Ed. Myk Habets and Robert Grow. Foreword by Alasdair Heron. Eugene, OR.: Pickwick Publications, 2012.
- Ecumenical Perspectives on the Filioque for the Twenty-first Century. Ed. Myk Habets. London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2014.
- Kiwimade Narrative Sermons: The Drama is the Doctrine. Viva Voce: Carey School of Preaching Series Volume One. Ed. Myk Habets. Auckland: Archer Press, 2014.
- Third Article Theology: A Pneumatological Dogmatics. Foreword by Kirsteen Kim. Edited by Myk Habets. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2016.
- Evangelical Calvinism: Volume 2: Dogmatics and Devotion. Princeton Theological Monograph Series. Ed. Myk Habets and Robert Grow. Foreword by Oliver Crisp. Eugene, OR.: Pickwick Publications, 2017.
- Theology and the Experience of Disability. Interdisciplinary Perspectives from Voices Down Under. Foreword by Marva Dawn. Eds. Andrew Picard and Myk Habets. London: Routledge Ashgate, 2016.
- “Mere Christianity for mere gods. Lewis on Theosis.” In A Myth Re-told. Ed. Martin Sutherland. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2014, 110-129.
- “Getting Beyond the Filioque with Third Article Theology.” In Ecumenical Perspectives on the Filioque for the Twenty-first Century, 211-230.
- “The Surprising Third Article Theology of Jonathan Edwards.” In The Ecumenical Edwards: Jonathan Edwards and the Theologians. Ed. Kyle Strobel. Farnham: Ashgate, 2015, 195-211.
- “The Fallen Humanity of Christ. A Pneumatological Clarification of the Theology of Thomas F. Torrance.” Participatio 5 (2015): 18-44.
- “The Essence of Evangelical Theology. Critical Introduction to Thomas F. Torrance, The Trinitarian Faith: The Evangelical Theology of the Ancient Catholic Church.” In Thomas F. Torrance, The Trinitarian Faith: The Evangelical Theology of the Ancient Catholic Church Cornerstones Series. London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2016, vii-xxxii.
- “Foreword: God’s Journey into the Far Country.” In Daniel Cameron, Flesh and Blood: A Dogmatic Sketch Concerning the Fallen Nature View of Christ’s Human Nature. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2016.
- “Disability and Divinization: Eschatological Parables and Allegations.” In Theology and the Experience of Disability, 212-234.
- “That was Then, This is Now: Reading Hebrews Retroactively.” In Hearing the Voice of God in the Text of Scripture. Eds. Oliver Crisp and Fred Sanders. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2016.
- University of Otago Divisional Scholarship (2002)
- John Baldwin Memorial Trust Scholarship (2002-2005)
- Otago University Postgraduate Scholarship (2003-2005)
- Otago University Postgraduate Publishing Award (2006)
- First Prize in the Young Calvin Scholars Symposium, Calvin Quincentenary, Calvin’s Auditoire, Geneva, Switzerland (14 July, 2009)
- Visiting Scholar, Princeton Theological Seminary (2012-2013)
- The Thomas F. Torrance Theological Fellowship Annual Lecture, AAR Annual Meeting (San Diego, 21 November, 2014)
- Visiting Scholar, Fuller Theological Seminary (2015-2016)