(Diploma in Pastoral Leadership)
Full Time (3 years)
The purpose of the Diploma in Pastoral Leadership is to produce pastors who can love, feed and lead God’s people in a way that advances God’s mission in the world. The programme is designed to equip our graduates with the knowledge, skill, character and passion to do this, recognising the variety of contexts and roles in which they will serve.
- Normally students complete the Bachelor of Applied Theology
- Leadership courses including: Pastoral Care, Preaching, Spiritual Leadership, and the People of God.
- Weekly placements within a local church under the supervision of senior pastors
- Two 12-week, full-time summer pastorates
- A weekly Pastoral Theology Class with experienced practitioners
- Preaching and communication training, spiritual retreats and leadership seminars
YOUTH Pastoral LEADERSHIP
(Diploma of Pastoral Leadership – Youth Specialised)
Full Time (3 years)
The Youth Pastoral Leadership training programme develops leaders who have the skills, theological education and spiritual commitment for ministry to youth in any cultural setting. Through classroom and practical training, peer-group and coaching, YPL provides participants with the theological education, practical skills and spiritual formation to understand God, teen culture, the gospel, and who they are in joining God’s mission to teens.
- Normally students complete a Bachelor of Applied Theology
- Youth ministry courses including Foundations of Youth Ministry, Gospel and Youth.
- Weekly placement within a local youth ministry under the supervision of a youth pastor
- One short term mission trip
- A weekly Pastoral Theology class with experienced practitioners
- Communication training and spiritual/personal development retreats
CHILD & FAMILY LEADERSHIP
(Certificate In Child and Family Leadership)
Part Time (2 years)
This programme seeks to equip students to be thoughtful reflective practitioners who integrate head, heart and hand in the service of God. The programme is based on the reading–action–reflection model of internship that strives for a mutual enrichment of study and ministry to shape gracious and imaginative servants who will embody redemptive Christian leadership in their communities.
- 4 courses out of the Certificate of Applied Theology: Field Education 1 & 2, Children’s Ministry, and Family in NZ Society
- Weekly ministry praxis in the student’s setting
- Fortnightly meetings with an experienced supervisor
- Evaluation, feedback and support from the Field Education Coordinator
- Regular online reflection with other students on ministry
Carey also offers a rigorous internship programme enabling people to train within their own ministry context. This is available on-site or by distance, full-time or part-time.